Sunday, December 2, 2007

When to Close a Customer

According to some people, a person will never buy a car until you have built rapport, done a demo, attempted a trial close, got a commitment to do business today and until finally, they agreed on the price. I disagree!

Granted, the above stuff will increase your chances of selling a car and they might increase your gross profit but you do not always have to do all of that to sell a car. If it was that simple, we would all be millionaires. Simply follow the steps above and sell everyone.

I have personally bought a car without driving it and I paid full price (before I got in the car business.) I live near Detroit and at the time, my Mom was living about 150 miles away. I needed a car and she told me about an '87 Olds Cutlass Ciera that a dealership was selling. I drove out there and saw the car, liked it and asked the price. They guy told me $2000. My mom told me to negotiate and I probably attempted a feeble one but the salesperson said, "I have 2 other people looking at the car and if you won't pay $2000, one of them will." I hooked up immediately. What is the moral of the story? I liked the car and it was in my price range. If they guy would have tried to talk me into driving it first, I may not have bought it. He got me at the perfect time (and I fell for one of the oldest closes in the book...) I just remembered--the air conditioning didn't work on the car and I never even asked about it! If I would have driven it, I probably would have noticed! Perhaps the salesperson didn't want me to drive it? Well, young and dumb...

Today is Sunday, I over-slept, it went from snowing yesterday, to freezing rain, to pure powerful rain to day and my five year old daughter took me to the mall today and showed me EVERYTHING she wanted for Christmas. She said she wanted a Nintendo Wii and I asked her what it was--she answered that she didn't know what it was. (How's that for a great brand?) I asked her why she wanted it and it was because all of her friends have one. Needless to say, I'm tired and have had my head kicked in by my daughter all day but I'm trying to make a point.

My first point is this: THERE IS NO SET TIME TO CLOSE A SALE!

A big problem with people is over-selling. Someone pretty-much says they will take a car and the salesperson finds it hard to believe and keeps selling. Some of the times, they will talk a person right out of buying.

We were playing softball a few months ago. We had bases loaded and one of our better hitters was up. He would up drawing a walk. The Umpire said, "Ball three--take your base." They guy looked at the ump and just stood there. I yelled, "You waiting for him to change his mind? Go to first!" Same thing in the car business. Sometimes people will hook up so easily that we can't believe that they are buying a car. We start asking ourselves questions...do they have good credit? Are they crazy? Did I hear them correctly?

So--my second point is this: IF SOMEONE SAYS THEY WILL BUY A CAR--STOP EVERYTHING IMMEDIATELY, THANK THEM FOR THEIR BUSINESS, SHUT UP AND DO THEIR PAPERWORK AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!

Can you sell a car without a test-drive? I do it all the time--but I'm in Michigan where everyone leases and most go into the same car that they got out of.

Can you sell a car without following the steps of the sale? Yes--I have gone from step 1 to step 12 plenty of times. Hi--my name is Marv. Welcome to... (customer cuts me off.) I want to buy that car. Here is my credit information. Happens all the time.

Does someone have to agree to buy the car before they will take it? Nope. Matter of fact, if you ask them to buy the car, they will usually get nervous and feel like you are pressuring them. It's better to ask non-confrontational questions like, "Do you guys want a soft drink or a cup of coffee while I get your paperwork started?" If they aren't there to buy the car--the will immediately give you an objection. If they say that they want a cup of coffee then get the paperwork started--you just sold a car!

OK, managers and dealers, don't shoot me. I am not saying for a minute not to do a demo, trial close, get commitments, etc. Those are great techniques that will increase your odds of selling a car and help you hold gross. I'm just saying that they do not always have to be done.

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

P.S. Anyone have a nice, used Wii?

No comments: