Thursday, December 13, 2007

How to Handle a Phone Up

I'll make a statement here. If you learn how to handle phone ups, you could probably do nothing else and out-sell everyone in the dealership. Odds are that the other salespeople hate answering the phone or use bad techniques so you could be a huge hero if you follow these steps.

First of all, what is your objective to answering an incoming phone call? It is not to build value, answer questions about payments or price (or anything else of that matter) it is simply to set an appointment. As a matter of fact, if you give someone a price over the phone, they will shop that price 100% of the time and you will probably never see them and if you do, it will be a mini deal. I don't know about you but I hate mini deals with a passion! To sell a $30,000 vehicle and make $50-$100 is a joke. And you know the rest--the people who you make the least amount of money on will be your nightmares that will nickel and dime you to death and blast you on your CSI.

OK--so now that we know that setting an appointment is our goal, here is a simple breakdown of the process...

1) Answer the phone
2) Take control of the call so they can't ask you payment questions.
3) Give them a reason to come up and see you
4) Set appointment
5) Make sure they ask for you

Lets break those down a little...

1) Answer the Phone. Use a simple script like New car sales. This is Biff--how may I help you?

They will answer you usually with one of a few questions...

I need some information. How much is a new Tahoe?
I want to buy a Tahoe. What is my trade worth?
What is a payment on a Tahoe?
I saw your ad in the paper--can I get a Tahoe for $199 a month with no money down?
What are the rebates on the Tahoe?
What would my interest rate be on a Tahoe?


Which brings us to step 2...

Step 2: Gaining Control of the Call: Basically, you want to gain control of the call so you can lead them to the appointment and so they can't ask any price questions. If they do ask a price question, either range them big time or don't answer it. You gain control by asking either/or questions.

If they are calling about a Tahoe, ask them a couple of these questions...

Are you looking for a 4x4 or a 2 wheel drive?
Do you want one with basic equipment or are you looking for one that is loaded up?
Do you want a lighter color or a darker one?
Are you looking for a new one or a used one?

A
fter your customer answers these questions, give them a reason to put them on hold and then put them on hold. Here is a great line to use.

Let me check to see what we have in stock like what you're looking for. I'll also check to see what we have coming in. It will only take about 15 minutes. (without pausing) Are you calling from home or work? (home) What's your number there? (555-1212) And your name? (George). Tell you what, George--I see my lot-manager over there--let me check with him real fast. Do you mind if I put you on hold for a second? (Nope)

Put your customer on hold for a few seconds--check the inventory and them pick up the phone and...

Step 3: Give them a reason to come up and see you. George--I have some great news! I have 2 in just like what you're looking for. When can you come up and see them--are you available right now or later this afternoon?

The customer will usually attempt a little price question like, How much are they? I usually answer with something like, "I'm not sure yet. Tell you what--I'll pull the Tahoe up and have it waiting for you and I'll have all that info ready for you by the time you get here. Can you make it at 2:00 or would 3:00 be better?

The customer will usually try one more attempt like, It has to be low or I'm not going to buy it! You can say a couple of things like...

Well, the good news is that if it's too high the bank won't let you buy it anyways!
I'll make you this deal--come up and check it out and if I can't get it to fit your budget, I'll pay for your gas.
If it's too high I don't want to sell it to you anyways so I'll work real hard to get it worked out for you.
My manager told us this morning that he's going to do whatever it takes to sell some cars so believe me, we'll make it worth your while
.

Step 4: Set the appointment. Well, we already tried to do this in step 3 as part of the script. But here are some tips to setting appointments...

1) Give them choices--1:00 or 4:00
2) Narrow it down to a quarter hour--someone somewhere said that people keep quarter hour appointments better.
3) Have them write down the time
4) Make sure you mention the time about 3 times and say that you are setting that time especially for them in your calendar.

Step 5: Make sure they ask for you. George--do me a favor. Do you have a pen handy? (George gets pen) Here--write down my name and number. My name is Biff and that is spelled B I F F and my number is 555-5555. I have 1:15 set aside in my apppointment book just for you--please call me if you are going to be a little early or a little late so I can reschedule my day. When you walk in the new car showroom, I'm the second desk on the right--please make sure you ask for me when you get there and I'll have the Tahoe pulled up for you. Thanks and I'll see you at 1:15.

One more tip: Have the car pulled up for them because there is still a chance that they won't ask for you so you can see them walk to the car and you'll know it's them. Also ask what they will be driving so you can watch for them.

On a final note: If you get a phone up into the dealership and they show up, you will have between a 50%-75% chance of selling them. I sold one yesterday--our lot traffic stinks but I took 1 phone up and sold it and guess what--had a pretty good deal at that since gross on a phone up is higher than a fresh up.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What are your scripts you use for phone ups calling on an Ad Car asking "Is this vehicle still available?" I personally use the Joe Verde script similar to what you talked about here... "are you calling from work or home?" ect. Just curious of some other techniques if you have any...

Marv Chomer said...

Any time they ask a question, answer with "Let me check on that" and ask some either/or questions to gain control back.

For example, "Do you still have the Impala in stock that you have in the paper?"

"Let me check on that. Are you looking for a basic Impala or one that is a little more loaded up?"

"Basic."

"What about color--light or dark?

etc.

Unknown said...

Do you typically use this for used cars to? I ussually use either "You know, we just had someone looking at that vehicle. Let me run out on the lot and double check to make sure it's still available." or "Actually I'm not at my desk right now, if I could put you on hold for just one second so I can get back to my desk and check on that for you. By the way, what is your number in case we get disconected? And your name again?"

Marv Chomer said...

On a used car, we were trained to say, "Are you looking for that exact car or are you looking for the best car in your price range?"

"Best car..."

"Do you want a 2 door or 4 door?"
(Other either/or questions)

"Let me check to see what we have in like that and what we have coming in. It will only take about 15 minutes. Are you calling from home or work? (Work) What's your number there? And your name?

Then say--"You know what? There's my boss--he'll know what we have--can I put you on hold a second?" (Yes)

A few minutes later--

"Jim--great news--I have 4 cars in stock just like what you're looking for. When can you stop by...?"

"How much are they?"

"I'm not sure--tell you what--come by and check them out and I'll have the prices ready by the time you get here. Will 2 o'clock or 3 be better for you?"

You get the picture.