Friday, December 28, 2007

The Importance of the Test Drive

In a past post, I have made a statement that you can sell a car without a test drive. This is very true. If someone walks in and says, "I'll take that car--here's a check--where do I sign?" then it would be very stupid to take them on a test drive--they may change their mind!

OK--here's another statement. The test drive is one of the 3 most important steps to the sale. The other two are a good greeting and building rapport. But you know what? You can actually use the test drive to build rapport so all of a sudden, it is in the top 2 most important steps. Tell you what--you can do a bad greeting--the people can hate you immediately but if you take them on a test drive, you can save yourself and build rapport and they will forget all about the bad greeting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: The test drive is the important step of the sale. Phew--said it.

People have claimed that if you do a proper demonstration and test drive, people might buy on the spot 50% of the time. This may be true but I'll make this statement. If you do a proper test drive and use to build more rapport--you WILL sell 50%of the people you talk to.

Here are some cool things to do and remember on a test drive.

1) Get them talking about themselves, their families, their hobbies, their grand kids, etc. In other words, get to know them.

2) Ask them how they feel about the car they are driving. Don't ask them what they think about the car. People buy for emotional reasons (feelings) and justify the purchase later by logic (what they think.)

3) Ask them how it compares to the car they are going to trade in (especially if it is an old beater--do not do this if they are going from a Cadillac to a Chrysler!)

4) Some people say to always drive first. I actually like to give the customer that option. "Would you like me to drive first so you can get a feel for the car before driving it?"

5) Drive with the customers unless you think that this would make them uncomfortable. Once again, I sometimes like to give the option (depends on the customer), "Would you like to drive it buy yourself or would you like me to go with you?" If they answer, "It doesn't matter" then offer this to them, "I'll tell you what--I'll go with you just in case you have any questions." Oh yeah--if you drive with them, they can't conspire against you while on the drive. You know what I mean: When we get back, you tell them that we want to think about it over night.

6) Sit in the back if there are more than 2 people unless the mother/father wants to sit in back with the kids. It helps them forget that you are there.

7) If you see them enjoying the ride and they are talking about positive things between them, give a mmm hmmmm once in a while to agree but besides that, keep your mouth shut.

8) If the kids start selling the car for you, keep your mouth shut. I used this technique on the first car I sold. Luckily I read this tip in a book the night before!

9) Take a designated route so they can find you if you break down.

10) Make sure the car has gas and is clean! Nothing will kill a sale faster...

11) Talk about features and benefits only for the things that they care about. I had a boss in Tennessee that told me to tell the customer about EVERY feature and benefit. Wow--you cannot make a bigger mistake! I once saw a guy (obviously trained by him) explaining fuel injection to an old lady who was looking to buy a Cadillac. I saw the look of confusion and boredom on her face and needless to say, she didn't buy.

12) And finally--use the test drive for a trial close. As you are pulling back into the lot say, "Jim--looks like we found the perfect car for you--go ahead and park it into the sold row so no one else will try to buy your car." If they park it in the sold row, they have agreed to buy the car. If they give an objection, over come it and keep selling. Oh yeah--where is the sold row? Answer: anywhere you want it to be.

It's been a little slow. I had a lady the other day come in inquiring about a Malibu. The price was about $5000 over her limit. She made very clear that she wasn't there to buy today and I believed her (I've sold a lot of people who have said that in the past--but I really believed her.) She was about to leave and since it has been a little slow--I almost let her. All of a sudden the salesman in me said, "Why not try to switch her to an Impala? We have $2500 in rebates on it..." I mentioned the car to her and she said she wasn't interested in an Impala. I almost let her leave again but the salesperson in me said...

Why not?

She said, "Because it is too big." OK--it is a pretty big car so I almost let her leave again. Hmmm--Christmas was coming and my daughter wanted about $5K worth of toys left so I asked her, "What do you mean by too big?"

She gave me the objection on a silver platter. "I don't think it will fit in my garage."

You know what? I didn't almost let her leave at this point. We got in the car and drove it to her house and guess what--it fit. I got to know her on the test drive and built some great rapport. I found out we live in the same city, have similar political views and that my kids were the same ages as her grand kids.

We got back--I tried the trial close. She reminded me that she was just there to gather her facts so I didn't push her. We came in, I gave her a good price (she's shopping me against Fords by the way and we have a better car at a lesser price) and even though I didn't sell her, I dramatically increased my odds of selling her. She really liked the Impala and if I would have let her leave at the Malibu price point--I would have had a 0% chance of selling. You know what? I give it a 50/50 chance of her getting the Impala and that fits within the statement above about the closing ratio.

My goal in 2008 is to try to do a good test drive with 75% of the people I talk to. I think it is a realistic goal--I will try for 100% of course but will really try for 75%. By the way--Car Sales Assistant 2007 (and 2008 by the way--almost ready to hit the streets!) tracks your test drive ratios so you can set goals and hit them.

Happy new year everyone--be safe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your comments are really funny, at the same time very true. Good advises,, Neil