Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sales Books that I Recommend

People are always asking me what books I would recommend for car salespeople, especially new ones so I'm going to share some with you. I personally own all of these books and they have all helped me in one way or another.


Very, very highly recommended. Tells how to close certain people like doctors, lawyers, factory workers, etc. I had the tape set (that I loaned to someone and never got back). This guy started as a security guard in a huge real estate development company and ran the place a few years later. Probably the best sales book you can have in your arsenal.


This book is a classic. Zig Ziglar sold cookware from door to door (imagine doing that in this day and age!) and has probably heard every objection in the world. He is a great story teller and tells how his wife kept on closing him to buy the home that she wanted that was (if memory serves me correctly) $30K over his budget. A must-have in your collection.


A nice, thick book that has techniques for every aspect of selling. He arranges everything in easy to read lists so you can say, "Hey--how do I prospect?" and then find the chapter and see something like "12.5 Ways to Prospect." An easy read and a good one.


I actually own a couple books by Roger Dawson. Read this book and you will increase your gross, no questions asked! This one was probably my favorite Dawson books but I loaned it to a girl in Tennessee and never got it back. I think I've lost half a dozen books that I loaned to budding salespeople over the years.


Speaking of Roger Dawson, here is another great book by him. A little personal history. I was spending years "talking" about writing Car Sales Assistant and two things made me get off my butt and program it. One was a friend of mine named Mike George who told me that "successful people do things while unsuccessful people talk about doing things." The other was reading this book.


Want to learn how to sell cars? Learn from the best car salesperson in history. He sold 13,001 cars in his career and actually sold them in my home state of Michigan. Pretty cool stuff. He wanted to get in the car business because he was broke with no other options (sound familiar?) so he talked a manager into hiring him as long as he took no floor traffic. Well, he ripped a couple of pages from a phone book and got to cold calling people and a few years later, was averaging in a day what most of us average in a month. Great book!

Please feel free to check them out. Click on the title and you can read what others have said about these great books.



No comments: