Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How to Memorize 20 Objects In Order

OK--I'm going to teach you something here that is awesome. I'm going to teach you how to memorize 20 objects. You will be able to name them in order, backwards or even have someone pick a number from 1-20 and you will be able to tell what the object is.

I learned this about ten years ago and paid about $200 to learn it. The cool thing about this technique is that you can be a computer dork like me and use this as a cheap attempt to impress girls at a bar and maybe get a few free drinks out of it.

OK--how does this work? You can repeat the 20 objects over and over again but instead, we'll do it by memory association. Think of the brain as if it were a file cabinet. If you want to remember what a rose smells like, your brain goes to the specific spot where a rose resides and says, "It smells like a rose!"

OK--20 things that you will need to memorize to use this skill. These 20 things never change and they are always in the same numerical spot. Read the descriptions after each thing to help you memorize them and visualize them in your mind. Concentrate hard!

1) A Tree (notice how a tree goes straight up like a "1"--I think the tree is 1 foot tall! Maybe it has 1 big branch)
2) An electrical outlet (There are 2 plugs and each has 2 holes to plug things in)
3) A stool (3 legs on the stool, 3 feet tall)
4) A car (4 wheel drive, 4 door, 4 wheels--you get the picture)
5) A glove (5 fingers--picture OJ's glove if it helps)
6) A gun (6 shooter!)
7) Dice (throw me a lucky seven!)
8) Skate (8 Skate! Figure 8...)
9) Cat (9 lives)
10) Bowling pins (10 pins, 10 frames, the bowling ball weighs 10 pounds)
11) Football goal post (Looks like an 11. Kick it from the 11 yard line)
12) Eggs (A dozen eggs)
13) A Witch (13 is unlucky--think of an unlucky evil witch)
14) A Diamond Ring (14 carat--I think it costs $14 grand!)
15) Payday! (We get paid on the 15th in the car business, right? My gross was $15K by the way...)
16) Birthday Cake (a nice sweet birthday cake for your sweet 16th birthday! It has 16 candles, by the way...)
17) Magazine (Seventeen--the magazine that all the 17 year olds like to read...)
18) Semi Truck (A big 18-wheeler--hauls 18 tons worth of stuff!)
19) Golf (see you on the "19th hole" for a few 19 oz beers! They cost $19 each but you're buying...)
20) Cigarettes (20 smokes in a pack, if you smoke them, you might live to be 20!)

OK--now I don't expect you to walk into a bar and say, "Hey--19 is golf! Cool, ain't it?"

No--here's what I expect you to do.

Go up to someone you know and say, "Hey--I'm gonna show you something real cool. Give me 20 objects--they can be anything. Write 1-20 on a piece of paper and give me 20 objects, one at a time and write it next to the number. I'll then tell you what they are in order."

When they give you the first object, associate it with a tree. For example, let's say that the object is a house. Imagine something violent, crazy, sexual (hey, it's in your mind) what I'm saying, the more outrageous the better!) So, for house and tree, I imagine the tree in my front yard. The wind picks it up and crashes it through my plate glass windows--leaves flying all over the place!)

Object 2: A Dog! OK--I imagine a dog licking an electrical outlet and zapping his tongue and his fur frying in that sicking burnt hair smell.

Object 3: A can of pop. I imagine someone taking a stool and smashing a can of pop and it sprays all over the place.

Object 4: A buffalo. I imagine a car riding with a herd of buffalo and smashing into one of them and the buffalo caves in the hood and causes the air bags to deploy.

OK--hopefully by now, you get the picture. Now, when you are done with all the items, do this:

1) (think about the tree--oh yeah--the wind blew it through the plate glass window in my HOUSE)
2) (electrical outlet...that stupid dog licked it and zapped himself DOG)
3) I remember the stool smashing the can of POP)
4) I remember the car smashing into the BUFFALO...

OK--pick a number. THREE. The stool smashes the POP. Pretty cool, isn't it?

You can use this to remember just about anything--grocery lists, names (give them an association like JOHN becoming a TOILET and smashing through a car window for example.

Like I said, this cost me $200 to learn in a class but it's cool--I still remember the 20 things 10 years later and this becomes so easy with practice that you will freak people out with your skills.

Hate to sound greedy, but if you like this technique, please check out my follow up software at www.carsalesassistant.com

Marv Chomer

p.s. After you try this, please respond to this post and share with all of us your results!

1 comment:

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.