Saturday, April 5, 2008

Got Killed with Kindness (Very Funny Story!)

I was at work the other day and a customer came in. Another salesperson we'll call "J" caught the guy and sat down and started asking him questions to investigate.

The customer said that he had his girlfriend's truck and wanted to know what it was worth. She was thinking about getting a "loaded up Tahoe." "J", doing the right thing, started talking about the Tahoe. "When you say 'loaded up', what are you referring to? There are many definitions of 'loaded up.'"

The customer started yelling at "J"--he yelled, "I don't care about the f**king Tahoe--I just want to know what her f**king truck is worth."

OK--a little selling here. If someone isn't there to buy, no matter what you give them for their trade, they are not going to do business.

More selling here: win the battle, lose the war.

But since the guy wasn't there to buy and since it was a given fact that he was a jerk, "J" decided to win the battle BIG TIME. He told the customer, "Sir, I am just here doing my job and part of my job is to ask these questions and if that isn't good enough for you, then I'm not going to deal with you."

The customer said, "I'm f**king out of here." He got up and stormed out of the dealership.

Right before he made it to the door, "J" decided to kill him with kindness. "Sir, I just want to let you know, I really like your hair-style."

The guy turned around--steaming. He was probably in his mid 50's with gray jacked-up hair. "What?!?!?"

"J" smiled and said, "I really mean it. That is a wonderful hair style."

"F**k you, you fat ass!" yelled the customer.

"What a wonderful jacket you have, sir. I really like it." (it was just an old bowling wind breaker)

"F**k you!" The man went out the door.

"Have a wonderful Easter and a blessed Good Friday," said "J"--following him out the door.

"I'm never buying from here," yelled the man. (He never was going to anyways.)

"Good luck, sir, I hope you find what you are looking for. I'm sure someone will give you what you want for her truck. That is a wonderful truck. God bless you."

The guy was absolutely steaming. He hopped in his truck and pulled out as "J", with a big pleasant smile, waved at the guy. Hahahahahaha.

In this career that we have where we constantly have to put up with assholes, it was wonderful to see that happen. "J" absolutely killed the guy with kindness and the guy couldn't have been more pissed since it probably went against what normally happens when this jerk-off acted that way. Now, if "J" would have gotten into a shouting match, then they guy would have won but in my humble opinion, "J" won the battle, the way and won his way into our laughs!

No comments: