Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"Up Selling"

"Would you like fries with that?"

"Would you like garlic bread with your pizza?"

"Do you want pom-poms?"

OK--you get my picture. But what about the pom-poms? My five year old daughter went to cheerleading today. I decided to take her because we had a bunch of freezing rain and snow and I just bought a Tahoe and I just didn't trust my wife to drive it quite frankly--she is from Tennessee and doesn't have much experience driving in the snow. I had trouble and I have been driving in the snow for 25 years!

OK--back to the pom-poms. It cost $7 to register and $7 for today's class. Not that much--I sold 2 cars today so I can afford that. When I got there, though, there were a million girls around my daughters age and they were selling pom-poms for $16! Not the big pom-poms you see at the football game but the cheapest dollar-store pom-poms you have ever seen. You know what? People were buying them like crazy. I declined their kind offer with a snicker and then went upstairs to watch my daughter--about the only kid without them. After the class, she gave me that spoiled-girl look and told me she "needed" pom-poms. Needless to say, I went downstairs to buy them and they were out! Uh--explain that one to a 5-year-old!

Next class, she will have pom-poms. Also, they sell $41 dollar uniforms that she "needs to have if she wants to compete." Ugh!

If they buy a truck, sell them a bed-liner. If they want a sunroof, get one installed. You get the picture. You can easily make $100 extra a unit if you sell aftermarket and your dealership will love you--from the top to the service advisor.

Not much in techniques today. I just wanted an excuse to tell you about the pom-poms!

No comments: