Monday, October 6, 2008

10 Tips for New Car Salespeople

I had someone just email me with 3 months in the business and asked me for some tips and here's what I emailed him in no particular order. If I would have known these years ago, I would be way better off today.

1) Stay away from other salespeople--especially below average ones. They will try to get you down to their level.

2) Treat everyone on the lot as a buyer. Never pre-qualify

3) Put everyone you talk to into CSA 2008.

4) Send something out every month to the people in CSA 2008 (postcards work great)

5) When someone leaves the lot and doesn't buy, call them as soon as they leave and leave a message on their home phone. "I have some great news--call me back as soon as you get this." If they are interested, they will call you back. Great news can be more for trade, new rebate, another car they can look at, etc.

6) Start high in negotiations--it's easier to go down than up.

7) Take every deal--mini or otherwise. They might refer someone that you can make some money on.

8) Test drive with your customers. If not, they will conspire against you.

9) Use a good greeting like "Welcome to ABC Motors. My name is Justin and you are...?" "John." "Nice to meet you John. Is this your first time up here or have you been here before?" Remember: He who asks the questions controls the sales process.

10) Never give up on a customer until they say NO at least 5 or 6 times. If they say NO 6 times, do a turn-over (TO) to your manager.

No comments: