Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Crazy Closes

I'm a firm believer that sometimes saying something weird or stupid can help you sell cars. For example: when I was about 2 days into the car business and after getting absolutely no training, I bought a few sales books and I read in one of them that if someone's pupils get dilated, they are excited and ready to buy.

I had a customer who was just very difficult to close--I could tell that he was very nervous about making a decision so I decided to make the decision for him. He was wearing dark glasses and I couldn't see his eyes. I told him, "Mr. Customer, the other night, I was reading a book on how to sell cars and one thing I read was this: If someone's pupils are dilated, they are ready to buy.' Mr. Customer, do me a favor--take off your glasses." He did--I stared deeply into his eyes. "Mr. Customer," I said with a friendly smile, "your eyes are dilated--you're ready to buy. Sign here." He weakly smiled like all the pressure was off of him and signed the buyers-order and I sold the car.

Just a little quick story before I head off to learn about the new Chevrolet Malibu on a ride-and-drive.